Saturday, March 6, 2010

Cabbage, Apple and Beet Salad with Sunflower Dressing

I've had this salad taking shape in my head for a couple days, after reading about a similar salad on one of the message boards I visit. I just couldn't figure out what to use for dressing, but then this morning as I made some fresh sunflower butter it all fell into place. It turned out quite nicely, it's a mild, slightly sweet salad with lots of crunch. The beets turn the whole salad pink, but you could use golden beets to avoid this. The measures for the dressing are approximate, adjust to your taste.

Cabbage, Apple and Beet Salad with Sunflower Dressing

1/2 head green cabbage, shredded or finely chopped
2-3 medium beets, roasted, peeled and diced
2 apples, diced (I used fuji)
6 stalks celery, diced

Dressing

1/4 cup sunflower butter (made with just sunflower seeds)
1 TBSP whole grain mustard
1 TBSP maple syrup
splash of apple cider vinegar
splash of soy sauce
water to reach desired consistency

Toss vegetables together in a large bowl. In small bowl whisk together dressing ingredients, then add to salad and toss. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment